Kids, this is the story of how I met your mother, and it was all thanks to RICtoday.
Ok, so maybe that’s not exactly how the 2000s sitcom went, but whether you’ve met “the one” or are hoping to impress someone new, we’ve got 25+ date night ideas for a romantic excursion in the River City.
If you want a night out on the town
- Take in a theatrical performance put on by Virginia Rep, Triangle Players, Richmond Shakes, or Broadway in Richmond.
- The Richmond Symphony season has something for everyone with classic favorites and contemporary performances.
- Find the perfect live music venue with our guide and get tickets for a show.
- Throw caution to the wind and enjoy a night with the improvisational experts at Coalition Theater.
If the way to their heart is through their stomach
- Design your own unofficial taco tour with our ultimate map to all the local spots.
- Make a reservation at a reader-recommended date night restaurant like Pinky’s, Little Nickel, or My Noodle & Bar.
- Try your hand at a new dish with a cooking class at Mise En Place or The Kitchen Classroom.
If you love the great outdoors
- Explore the trails near the floodwall in Manchester, then cross the T. Pott Bridge and make your way to the murals along the Canal Walk.
- Combine a nature walk and art project by making cyanotype prints. Pick up the materials from Plaza Art, then take a stroll through a local park to gather leaves, flowers, and sprouts to produce handmade prints.
- Order a grab-and-go meal from a local restaurant and set up a picnic at a nearby park — we’ve got ideas for good pairings.
If you like to play games (just not with your heart)
- Pick out a board game at One Eyed Jacques or enjoy dinner and entertainment at Unplugged Games Cafe.
- Book a lane at Shield N Sheath and try your hand at axe throwing.
- Hotel Greene has you covered on a too-cute-for-words mini golf experience.
- River City Roll has bowling, drinks, food, and hosts live music regularly.
- Enjoy local brews and get the competition going with pool, skee-ball, and more arcade games at Bingo Beer Co.
If you’re really hoping that it works out
- Get a pair of day passes at Peak Experiences and climb the day away.
- Take a class together at a local gym — couples yoga, anyone?
- Break a sweat by breaking stuff at Rage RVA, where you can demolish bottles, copiers, computers, and vehicles.
- Rent some skates and try out skating at Rollerdome.
If you want an “old fashioned”-style date
- Keep it classic with dinner before a catching a movie at The Byrd Theatre, which has been showing films since 1928.
- Order an old fashioned at The Jasper, a classic cocktail bar with contemporary twists.
- Make a reservation or stop by one of the oldest restaurants in the River City for a meal decades in the making.
- Roll into the Goochland Drive-In for a movie under the stars complete with popcorn and ice cream.
If you wanna show off by knowing all the hottest events in town
- Shameless plug: Sign up for our daily newsletter, where we call out our top picks of things to do around town. Your date doesn’t have to know we’re behind it — you can take all the credit.
- Stay up-to-date on the coolest local events around Richmond with our events page.
What did we miss? If you know a perfect date spot that’s not on the list, guide us in the right direction using this survey.