Boo! It’s a sign. The term “ghost signs” may not ring a bell, but old painted advertisements on the sides of buildings are scattered across Richmond. Many of them are relics of former businesses, others may just be lost to time.
We went exploring + found some faded favorites.
PepsiCo. advertisement | Corner of Brook Road and West Clay Street
Old Weiman’s Bakery | 127 N. 17th St.
Though this classic has closed, there’s still a larger version of the 1940s-era sign painted along the side of the Shockoe building. Now, it’s set to become a 12-story apartment tower.
F.H. Boehling Co.'s Feed & Seeds | 18th + E. Cary St.
This food company from the 1800s has watched over Richmond streets for decades, all starting with German immigrants Herman Heinrich Boehling and second wife, Maria Elizabeth Gerling.
Tyler & Bradley Inc. Real Estate | 28 N. 8th St.
Today, there is a Tyler Realty Group still selling homes across the Richmond region. We’re not sure if they’re related, but we found a Mr. Tyler listed as “one of the youngest real estate dealers in Richmond” in a 1915 Library of Virginia archive.
Send us more ghost signs across the city so we can shine some light on their past.