Traveling via plane is fun — jet-setting over beautiful blue waters or rolling hills, taking in cloud formations, and landing in a completely different location in a matter of hours is unlike anything else.
The whole navigating the airport part? Less exciting, and sometimes pretty stressful. To help make your time at Richmond International Airport as smooth as possible, we’ve created a guide that covers everything from gates and parking to details on the airport’s 27 nonstop flights.
What to know
- TSA | According to the Richmond International website + iFly.com, it takes ~12 minutes to get through during off-peak hours and ~15 minutes during peak hours (5-7 p.m).
- Map it out | If you’re like us and need to completely visualize a place before you step foot inside, these maps of the entire airport will be your saving grace.
- Food and drink | Sit down at the Cross Grain Brewhouse for a pint + a Maymont Salad with grilled chicken and tomato balsamic.
- Reminder | By May 3, 2023, you will need a REAL ID to board commercial flights in the US.
- Flight status | While we recommend staying updated via your respective airline, you can also check the airport’s dashboard for your flight status in a pinch.
Parking, shuttles, and rideshare
Not everyone has a bestie who will drop everything to pick them up from their 3 a.m. landing. Each lot and garage offers differing pricing depending how long your car is parked.
- Short term parking | $2/hour
- Daily parking garage | $12/day
- Economy parking | $7/day
- Valet | $25/day
Because Richmond International only has one terminal, all of these parking options are within walking distance of TSA and your gate.
Hate the thought of driving yourself? Try out a shuttle, rideshare, or taxi service that will take you to and from the terminal. These services are suggested by RIC:
- Lyft + Uber | Rideshare | Follow the green signs with the company logos to find your pick up location.
- James River Transportation | Private Sedan Service | Designed for military travelers
- GRTC | Bus system | Fares are still free for any bus route and the 7A or 7B will get you to the airport.
The rideshare pick-up location is located at the upper Departures level and the drop-off location is at the lower Arrivals level near baggage claim.
Richmond offers 170 nonstop domestic flights that go to six US regions. Here are five nonstop flights to nearby locations.
Pro tip: Remember that flight times and schedules will often change — you should rely on your respective airline for exact timing and to stay updated on any changes.