The Flying Squirrels have flown their way to the top spot. After Sunday’s 7-2 win over the Portland Sea Dogs + the Akron RubberDucks falling to Harrisburg Senators, the 2022 Eastern League Southwest Division First-Half Championship belongs to Richmond.
This team is the first to head to postseason play since 2014. Let’s look at how today’s team compares to the previous postseason run, where the Squirrels made their way to the final championship game before falling to the Binghamton Mets.
- 2022: 40-29 (58% winning percentage), tied with Akron, but head-to-head records have the Squirrels on top — 7 wins to 5 losses against the Rubberducks.
- 2014: 79-63 (55.6% winning percentage), though they played more games overall.
- 2022: Third baseman Shane Matheny leads the Squirrels batting lineup with 44 hits, 4 home runs, 25 RBIs + scored as a baserunner himself 33 times.
- 2014: Third baseman Mario Lisson, who ended up playing for the Kansas City Royals, recorded 18 home runs + 76 RBIs this season.
- 2022: Jake Dahlberg claims the lowest ERA on the team at 3.77, with three wins + three losses. Meanwhile, Kai-Tei Weng and Bryan Brickhouse both struck out a career-high 11 Sea Dogs in the last homestand, throwing nine and 10 games respectively.
- 2014: Ty Blach, who now plays for the Colorado Rockies, had a 3.13 ERA that season. Edwin Quirarte and Jack Snodgrass both snagged 11 wins each.
Bonus: 11 players from the 2014 Flying Squirrels team were drafted or had MLB experience.
Seeking more Squirrels stats? Explore the full roster.
FUNNville is just getting warmed up. The Squirrels have five more homestands to play through Sun., Aug. 18 before the playoffs kick off in September — so snag tickets for any regular season games below.