Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these River City spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Rostov’s Coffee & Tea, 1618 W. Main St. | Grab some joe to fuel your drive. You could even pick up a travel mug from their shop.
- Nate’s Bagels, 21 S. Allen Ave. | Are we the only subscribers to the bagel for the road philosophy? Try This: The Ol Virginny, which has sausage, egg, local tomato jam, caramelized onions + cream cheese.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Forest Hill Garage, 6912 Forest Hill Ave.
- Cutshaw Automotive, 3101 W. Broad St.
- Broad Street Auto and Tire, 2120 Lake Ave.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: