Richmond has 200+ locations, buildings, and districts included on the National Register for Historic Places — many chosen due to their historic architecture.
We’re highlighting several places you may pass by every day that are part of River City history.
2900 Block Grove Ave. Historic District | Homes built ~1890-1912 | Added to register in 1973
This district includes multiple building styles, three in Queen Anne Revival as well as others with Mission/Spanish Revival decor. There’s also a row of wooden carriage houses with cupolas that are now a part of the VMFA Studio School.
Belgian Building, 1500 N. Lombardy St. | Built in 1941 | Added to register in 2009
This former exhibition building was one of the first Modernist designs in the U.S. that the Belgians built for the 1939 World’s Fair in New York City. When World War II began, the Belgians couldn’t get it back to Europe, so they offered a competition to find the building’s new home. Virginia Union University won, and Richmonder + architect Charles T. Russell supervised the building’s move and reconstruction on campus.
Broad Street Station, 2500 W. Broad St. | Built in 1917 | Registered in 2008
You probably know this Neoclassical building as the Science Museum of Virginia, but the Broad Street Station was a major train depot for decades. Passenger service was dropped in 1975, and the museum opened there the following year.
John B. Cary School, 2100 Idlewood Ave. | Built in 1912-1913 | Registered in 1992
The former school has kept most of its Gothic Revival facade, designed by VA architect Charles M. Robinson. He also designed seven buildings at UR, including Richmond Hall + Cannon Memorial Chapel. The building is now the home to Winthrop Manor, an assisted living facility.
Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, 823 Cathedral Place | Built 1903-1906 | Registered in 1982
Architect Joseph Hubert McGuire chose an Italian Renaissance Revival style for this Roman Catholic Church. The cornerstone was sent from the Garden of Gethsemane. The portico uses Corinthian columns made of VA granite + limestone. Fireproof tiles have since been added for modern fire safety.
Central National Bank, 219 E. Broad St. | Built in 1929 | Registered in 1979
Old City Hall, 1001 E. Broad St. | Built in 1886 | Registered in 1969
The former seat of Richmond’s government was built on the demolished remains of the 1818 courthouse that was structurally unsound. The Gothic Revival style was chosen by architect Eliljah E. Myers, who designed state capitol buildings in Colorado, Idaho, Texas + Michigan. Renovations on this historic building should be completed before the end of 2022.
Egyptian Building, 1200 E. Marshall St. | Built in 1845 | Registered in 1969
The NRHP considers this locale the oldest medical building in the South, built as a monument to medicine. Thomas Somerville Stewart designed it to pay homage to the original physicians of ancient Egypt. It was initially the home of Hampden-Sydney College’s Medical Department; it now hosts several VCU colleges.
Ellen Glasgow House, 1 W. Main St. | Built in 1841 | Registered in 1972
Scott’s Addition Historic District | Built 1926-1956 | Registered in 2005
200+ notable buildings rose in this district over the first half of the 20th century, using styles such as Colonial Revival, Classical Revival, Art Deco + Exotic Revival (think the Hofheimer Building). Now, it’s considered the booziest neighborhood in Richmond, with nine alcohol producers within its 152 acres.
We’re still researching the buildings and those who built them throughout Richmond’s history. Let us know what school, museum, business, or apartment architecture you’d like us to feature.